Saturday, July 16, 2011

Out of Africa



Just a short blog post from the heart of Africa, Zambia! I've been here just over two weeks now and I'm still appreciating seeing green trees and long blond grass. Even though it's winter here, which means drier weather and hence a not so green bush, it's still looking a lot more lush than the desert of Qatar.




This week I was privileged to travel to Livingstone which hosts the Zambian side of the majestic, mighty Victoria Falls. I have been inspired to paint and draw as I take in all the sights and sounds. It's more of a challenge for me artistically as I'm used to having all of my materials around me.




There is no art shop in Lusaka so I've been playing around with watercolours again. I must say it is refreshing to just go back to the basics. I will probably use what I've done here when I do get back to my "studio" to refine or rework  sketches and paintings I've done in watercolour.




The pieces I've posted here are very much rough ideas I aim to develop further at a later stage. But until then I'll keep experimenting and trying different things.

5 comments:

Selah Gay said...

Hi Louise!! How cool you get to enjoy the world and all it has to offer us! LOVE the "rough ideas"! LOL had to laugh cuz I was loving them as completed works!!! Very nice use of color...and emotion! Love you girl...Enjoy the Process!!! Selah <3

Louise said...

Thanks Selah; loving the process; maybe I'll keep them as is but at this stage they're on A4 watercolor paper...thanks for the encouragement :)

Christine Krauss said...

Oh Louise, I adore your new works and really enjoyed seeing your part of the world in pics as well as paintings! Zambia must be very inspiring to you, as these are simply gorgeous! My folks visited the area and flew over Victoria Falls in a small plane and I remember seeing the pics of their adventures in Africa and always have longed to see it myself. Now I get to through your paintings and pictures! Thanks for that! Your challenge with materials doesn't show. I only see inspiration! Beautiful! Hugs xxx <3

Louise said...

Thanks so much Christine:) wonderful encouragement! I love this part of the world. It's a place that inspires and yet at the same time breaks your heart. So much beauty and poverty. I love the people here too...

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, it looks so beautiful even though winter time. Your art is amazing! You do wonders with watercolours.
Its so lovely to share with you also, thank you for opening a blog.
Hugs!
Julie