Saturday, September 10, 2011

Looking for Gold

While I thoroughly enjoyed my vacation: catching up with friends and family; feasting upon the 'green' bush and African countryside it is good to be home. My industrious husband, in my absence decided to 'hang' as many canvases as he could. The problem was that many of them were unfinished; to his eye they were perfect. So since I have been back, I have been trying to finish off those pieces I feel worth finishing off. I have so many new ideas I want to paint and explore but I felt I needed to complete some of my older 'ideas'. 

The first one I tackled was a piece that holds a lot of meaning for me personally. I will probably never part with it but will instead cherish the memories that it evokes. 

It's a piece I did on my return from my father's funeral in January 2010. My father passed away quite suddenly and unexpectedly and during these past two years I have struggled to come to terms with his absence from my life. But through my art, by God's grace, I have found ways to deal with the pain and instead celebrate my dad's life and thus continue with mine. The piece above is one such celebration. He was a gold-miner, amongst many other things, so this theme seems to weave it's way through a collage of memories. I call it 'Looking for Gold'.

The other two pieces are simply ideas that came to me and I put them on canvas. I love playing the guitar so it was inevitable that I painted one, though I am sure it is the first of many.

 The other painting below is an exploration of using 'mosaic' on a face. It's called Dream on Dreamer. 
Now that these three have been finished, I'm excited about the new ideas floating around in my head...

1 comment:

Christine Krauss said...

Absolutely gorgeous Louise! Stunning colors! Fabulous! Love these! Sublime! Huggies xxx