Saturday, June 4, 2016

Heaven come down!


This is my latest painting. I live in a rural Zulu community in South Africa. The men in this area have been sidelined and marginalised by the legacy of apartheid. I wanted to paint a Zulu man immersed in God's favour and acceptance. To know that what the past has said about him, and how he sees himself is not how God sees him. 

I've had this painting propped up in my studio, for a while, wondering if it's actually finished. I tend to do this as I finish a painting, I don't consider it done until I feel some sort of closure. The problem is that this "waiting" can hinder my whole creative process. As I woke up this morning, I realised that I need to go back to having a few paintings on the go. It seems to work better for me. I know that I'm in my happy place when I'm being creative. I sometimes feel that I spread my creative energies too thinly: writing, making music and painting. I've tried to make myself draw something every day but it's not something I've been able to keep up with. I was challenged this week when I heard this quote by Shawn Bolz: 
                                                    In the waiting we create more...
It's made me realise, that while I'm waiting for closure on a piece, while I'm waiting for inspiration to paint, to be creative, I should still create, still draw, write etc; like an athlete in the off season who still trains, still works out. I know that in these creative "down" moments, I still need to press on, to create, to refine my skills and to have fun doing it!




2 comments:

Heidi-May said...

I love this, it's vibrant, and filled with light and love.... All I can say is wow

Heidi-May said...

I love this, it's vibrant, and filled with light and love.... All I can say is wow