Tuesday, November 11, 2014

My Happy Place!

Looking back over the various blog pages that I have, I noticed that I haven't posted here for almost a year! Where did that year go? I have been aware that, since moving here, I have really struggled to maintain a creative rhythm, so to speak. I have tried to do something about this the past couple of months. I definitely need to create and be creative! I'm in my "happy place" when I'm painting, drawing, writing or making music. But in the process of making more time to paint or be creative, I've noticed that I have to make a conscious effort to just relax. I find that listening to music, or just reading for a while tends to push me further into the creative zone. It's learning how to find that balance between leading a life that honors and supports those around me, while at the same time leaning into that space where I can just unwind and create. I love the line spoken by Eric Liddle in Chariots of Fire: "I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure." I feel the same way when I'm being creative! " I believe that God made me for a purpose; and when I paint, I feel his pleasure!"



I'm not quite sure I'm finished this one, so it's sitting on my easel. It's inspired by all the beautiful, amazing women who live around me. 


The landscape is inspired by the incredible view I'm treated to every day! I've used prints of a lot of my past art work and collaged them into the painting. I am always amazed by the way the landscape surrounding me is made up of layers of colors and textures. I tried to capture that here.


And finally, this piece is in the "beginning stages"! If I have no idea of what to paint next I usually paint some sort of background on the canvas and eventually an idea begins to formulate in my mind. I try and do a lot of sketching as well so that I have something to work with.

No comments: