Monday, December 16, 2013

African ramblings...

At last! I've managed to complete a couple of paintings.I had not anticipated that it would take so long to settle into the rhythm of life here. It's been a year since we relocated from Doha, Qatar, back to South Africa. I think the fact that I broke my arm in March, in a car accident, didn't help the process of settling in here; especially since I had no use of my left arm until July! I can honestly say that I appreciate doing all the things I couldn't do for so many months. Praise the Lord I almost have full mobility in my arm now.

The above painting, 'Elephants Dreaming' is one I felt inspired to do after reading 'The Elephant Whisperer' by Lawrence Anthony. I love reading something that makes you think and ponder on what you've read. Amongst other things, the book served to emphasize just how extraordinary elephants are. To me elephants have always been such amazing animals, proof of the incredible creativity of an incredible Maker!
The next painting is just a quick watercolor of part of the view we have; it's a view I need to explore further, my next project perhaps. I did the painting in the middle of a dry winter here. Now, after some really good rains, the landscape is green again!
And finally, this next one is almost finished, it needs some final touches though. I often find that as I'm nearing the completion of a piece that I take a few days to stare at it until I know what it needs to finish it off.


This week has been quite a week. I went to my first Zulu wedding, and my first Zulu funeral. A week of celebration and sadness! The passing of Madiba has also occupied the thoughts of most this week. What an incredible man! We honor you Madiba! May you indeed rest in His peace!

Until the next post, happy holidays and may you have a very blessed Christmas!

No comments: